BLOG: How Schools Can Approach Approach the Admissions/Enrollment Process During the COVID 19 School Closures
Read more HERE from PEFNC's State Outreach Director Allison Guenther
Help from the U.S. Small Business Administration
Frequently asked questions regarding participation in faith-based organizations in the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) and the Economic Injury Disaster Loan Program (EIDL) are available for download HERE.
Private School Choice Program Updates from the North Carolina Education Assistance Authority
Updates for K-12 guidance for COVID-19 regarding non-public school closures are available for download HERE.
Weigh in on how the NC General Assembly will address education in light of COVID-19's disruptions to the classroom
As you navigate the "new normal" of distance learning and face daily challenges in decision making about your school, please consider reaching out to elected officials on the House Select Committee on COVID-19 who are meeting virtually about a variety of concerns that this crisis is presenting to North Carolinians. They have a working group focused on education and are asking for remote participation by sending suggestions and concerns through a comment portal.
Please consider submitting a comment that addresses waivers for the following:
- School calendar and length of school year
- Achievement testing
- Achievement testing for Opportunity Scholarship/special needs students
COVID-19 Response and Resources
The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction has prepared a web-page with resources. To access the page click HERE.
For many juggling a "new normal" at home, work, and school, PEFNC remains here to ensure families and parents have access to educational resources. As we continue to take precautions to protect the health of our kids, families, and neighborhoods, we wanted to share a few resources specifically to help parents with kids at home now due to school closures.
- Epic: A digital lending library for kids under 12, with access to 35,000 books, learning videos, quizzes, and more.
- PebbleGo: A research tool designed for K-12 students, based out of Charlotte.
- Khan Academy: A free resource bank of online courses, lessons, and practice tools.
- BigUniverse: A reading comprehension platform.
- Duolingo: A free way for you and your child to learn a foreign language.
- Mystery Science: Now offering a free membership, this is an online K-5 science curriculum.
- The Smithsonian: An online hub of millions of digital resources from across the Smithsonian's museums, research centers, libraries, archives, and more.
- Google Classroom: A parent's guide to using Google Classroom.
Schools of Choice are Serving During the Coronavirus Crisis
As our state and federal government continue to grapple with how to address coronavirus, our thoughts and prayers are with all of our school communities out there. And we're excited to report that so many of you are stepping up to serve your communities during the crisis. Here is one example at PAVE Charter in Raleigh. Check out this video:
Reach Out to Us
Want to know more about school choice in our state? Send us an email at email@example.com and a member of our team will be in touch soon.